Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Map and Route

When checking out the map, Bali is kind of a nuisance to find, so I thought I'd help you out. It's so difficult because it's just so freakin' small. 2192 sq miles to be exact. Only a wee bit larger than the state of Rhode Island, coming in at 2000 sq miles. And not even a 100th the size of Texas, which is 268,601 sq miles. So you see, teeny tiny baby fries. 

Itty bitty teeny baby Bali. There she is. Really, really far away (from you). 

My flight from Bangkok was perfect. At only 4 hours, I found it to be completely manageable. 

Getting a little closer. 

Above are some details of my stay. Amed is the black sands beach where I snorkeled, Mt. Batur is the volcano, and home base is Ubud. I haven't been able to find the route of my cycling tour, but it was somewhere in the north east. I traveled from Ubud to Amed by motorbike, and that distance took a little over 3 hours one way. It's not very far, but the quality of the roads and lack of options slow everything down a bit.

The traditional tourist hot-spots are mostly just north of the airport in the Kuta area. I didn't see that part of Bali at all, which worked really well for me. I imagine if partying hard is what you're after, that'd be the place to go. Otherwise, get in. Get in. Get. In. The only thing I really had to give up was the national park, which is everything to the northwest. There was simply not enough time to cram it all in, as it always goes..

No comments:

Post a Comment