Everything about Bali I couldn't tell you in a specific segment. Tidbits and extras.

Rice fields right after the rain. One afternoon I took a walk, and this is mostly what I saw. Venturing no more than 3 miles one way, the scenery changed drastically. It was great.
I just wanted to again draw your attention to the whole not entering sacred places while menstruating thing. I mean, is anyone going to check???
For me, one of the most interesting things about Bali was the look and design of the sculptures and art. It was so vastly different than that of Thailand, and as a result I enjoyed it very much. It felt like such an authentic mix of ancient and modern, and I really loved it. Above is part of the door that led into my guest house, and below is in front of the temple inside my guesthouse. I've never seen anything like this.In Bali, they practice Hinduism, but I was told by multiple sources it is in fact a relaxed version, somewhat of a mix between the Hinduism of India and Buddhism. There were images of Buddha everywhere, and when I asked about it, they always replied with "Buddhism is our brother".
Hindus do not eat beef, and according to our guide on the cycling tour, in India they would not even raise or sell cattle as a result. Balinese, however, does not see this as a problem. Many people are in the business of cattle and make money by selling the beef to uppity western hotels serving steak.
Over time the Balinese have formed a version of Hinduism uniquely their own. If you want details on their specific brand of Buddha, click here.
Kecak Fire Dance
My last night I finally made it out to a traditional dance, which I was super excited to see. Reading about Ubud I saw over and over that going to a dance was a definite to-do. I was exhausted, and I just barely squeezed it in, but it was so flippin' cool. Absolutely worth it.
The Balinese dances are truly exceptional, and a very important part of the culture. There are several different kinds, the one I saw was a kecak fire dance. They call it "kecak" because of the sound the men make while chanting.
I was so impressed after watching the show, and only later did I discover that this particular dance came to fruition mostly to please the foreign eye. It's tradition began in the 1930s, with the collaboration of a Balinese local and German painter living in Ubud. It was created as fusion entertainment for the westerner of their time "from movements and themes in the traditional sanghyang exorcism ritual..." They did a great job; it's awesome. But, I was a little disappointed to discover it has no historical or cultural relevance.
I found this youtube video, and it does a much better job explaining all the kick-A details than I ever could. There is a story line throughout the performance, but it was nothing I was able to follow when watching. The costumes were extravagant and very beautiful, just watching the performers move in them was one of my favorite parts. They are a bit hard to see here, but you can still enjoy :)



No comments:
Post a Comment