Instead of blogging about why wearing these pants in public does not make me batcrap crazy, I'll be blogging about much more relatable topics. Like the possibility of going to graduate school at Texas A&M (betcha' didn't see that one coming). And how it is so weird to be swimming in a bathing suit again (not so relatable, but go with me on this). And my most favorite flavor of Baskin Robbins Ice Cream (of course, I will have to taste them all to make an informed decision. Ohh, the sacrifices). And how much money I do not have to succeed in life. You know, the usual.
Welcome to the transition period.


I just want to make it clear that I did, in fact, wear these pants out in the world today. Like, for reals. Can you even tell if this is the front or the back? Talk about flatt-errrr-ing. I actually paid money for these puppies. What was I thinking? I can't believe it. What the What am I going to do with my beautiful baby blues back in the Lone Star State? Take a good look, cuz this is the one and only time you'll catch me in these most-stylish pantaloons. Obviously, I'll have to give them up to the likes of Heidi Klum when I'm back stateside. I am just too fashion-forward for my own good over here.
Last night, while out commemorating our final day of work (**possible final day for me**), the most gloriously original phrase slipped itself out of my mouth before I even realized how truly amazing it was. Wow, that sounds as good as a boatload of glittery pancakes. Boom. Roasted. And that's the story there. Feel free to use the new lingo in any situation you deem worthy. I mean, what could be better than a glittery pancake? Ummmm, nothing. You got glitter. You got pancakes. Quite the rockin' combo. If nothing else, at least 14-year-old girls will like it, and what a demographic to impress.
Moving on. There are some things I'm getting really geared up for back home. Other than DUH! family and friends, the biggest at this precise moment is access to a kitchen. That just sounds too remarkable for words. I have a couple friends who blog about their culinary experiences and offer up recipes. While under normal circumstances this is all good and well, for now it just makes me bitter and hungry. Not for long, amigas. I am soooo feeling that in T-minus 5 weeks.
Even better, when I'm not in the mood to craft a kitchen masterpiece (or can't... Who am I kidding; I haven't cooked a thing other than spaghetti since September 2008), I can make deliciously bad filler food. Like frozen pizza. And queso and guac. And raw cookie dough to eat right out of the bowl. Man, the good life is a waitin'.
------
Okay, okay. Stepping back into Thailand-mode, I wanted to let you know in the month of February I spent not one, but two Saturday nights complete without fan or A/C. I know you can't quite imagine the implications of this as you have just gotten through snowpocalypse and/or are in the middle of the coldest winter in the history of man (Fact), but let me tell you it was like death. Not a quick and painless death, but a long, drawn out, How is it possible to drown while still on fire? kind of death. Hotttttttttttttt. Example: today's high is 88 degrees, with a humidity level of 94%. I'll repeat. Hottttttttt. After about 2 hours of attempted sleep in this nightmare, I walked out of the building into the middle of the street at three in the morning. Umm, excuse me crazy lady, not the safest idea you've ever had. I booked it back upstairs after realizing that genius of a plan was going nowhere, fast. Next was an attempt to sleep outside on the patio floor. No go. It was even hotter; unbelievable, I know. At least the bed was elevated to window level and once in a blue moon a trickle of air flow would make its way across my body, bringing with it a wonderful three seconds of relief.
After considering sleeping in the hallway for a total of 30 seconds, I realized this was an equally poor decision. What? Like, am I homeless? I'm sure that's what people would assume as they came out of their rooms in the morning to find a single farang girl sleeping on the floor in her clothes. So, I put my big girl pants on and suffered through like a champ.
This little tid-bit brings me to something else I am soooo excited to have upon return to good ole' Texas, I have literally dreamt about it: AIR CONDITIONING. Yes, I know it will be March, and probably still cool after this hectic and insane winter weather. I also know I have air conditioning in my apartment now, but that doesn't phase me for a second. The anticipation of total access to freezing my buns off in the dead of summer because people refuse to leave their establishments at a normal temperature is killing me. I am all about this.

Hello again. Thanks for your reply the other day and it was great to read the send-off you received from the kids in your classes.
ReplyDeleteBy a funny coincidence, your blog's not only given me a great insight into my next holiday but answered some questions from my last one, which was my first real visit to the States, through Georgia and Alabama (I didn't go as far as Texas as that obviously deserves a full holiday in its own right!). I say 'real visit' because I don't count the half day I spent in Buffalo four years ago when we nipped across the border while I was visiting a friend in Toronto.
Anyhow, during my trip last year, I spent one day at Six Flags Over Georgia near Atlanta, the name of which I didn't really think about except as perhaps a sort of rating system: “we're so good we've got six flags“ or something like that. From one of your posts a while ago, I've now found it's nothing of the sort. Not only that but of course there never were six flags over Georgia, so the name's not just meaningless but devalues the original. I'm not surprised you were miffed. It does have some great rollercoasters though and I do have a 2010 season ticket!
Still, I'm rambling now. Back to topic. I'm sure your trip to Italy will be wonderful - you're going at pretty much the perfect time to visit the country though you're probably right about putting on weight.
Last time you replied, you were kind enough to say if I had any questions about Thailand to ask you. I guess the one that might underlie a lot of the rest is about pacing things. On holiday, I try and get a balance between the more tourist-centric things and getting a feel and appreciation for a country beyond the obvious. Could I ask what you think the best way might be to do that? I've probably two or three weeks so will probably aim for three of four locations in Thailand, one of which will be Bangkok.
Chokh dii khrap,
David.
yeah, the first time i saw a six flags out of texas it really chapped my hide. show some respect, people! hahaha.
ReplyDeletein thailand, i think as long as you are not tied down to anything (or too much) before you arrive, you won't have any problems doing what you want here. you'll see what you like a lot more than by reading about it, and be able to make it happen if you don't already have a flight or hotel booked or whatever. the transportation, though almost never on the schedule you think it will be, is consistent and very easy, so you could venture out of the ultra-tourist zone by hopping on a public bus to wherever interested you, as opposed to choosing the tour bus route.
as far as things i would check off the list, def the grand palace in bkk, and i have heard the water tours through the canals are awesome. i don't imagine you would need more than 2 or three days in bkk though, the rest of thailand is very different. and kao san is the big tourist hub, but it is super ghetto. if you are looking to party hard, it's the place for you, otherwise, i would recommend staying somewhere near a bts station.
i thought kanchanaburi and the bridge over river kwai was absolutely amazing. that province has a lot to offer, but it's really spread out, so you might have to pick and choose.
i haven't been, but i believe chaing mai is the best city for you to get a good mix of east meets west. and there is some beautiful country surrounding. the islands down south are beautiful, but def set up for western taste, and you will be hard pressed find any authentic culture there.
ayuthaya, the ancient capital, would be a great spot if you are looking for some history and culture. hope this helps. as long as you are not too focusing on a specific schedule or concerned about time, i think you can get everything you want from it. hope this helps!