Thursday, February 18, 2010

Got It

Today, I got exactly what I needed. Closure.

Phew. I am so relieved. Now, regardless of where I end up these next few months, I can leave Thailand in peace (If I do in fact end up leaving for good; everything is still up in the air at this point). Pretty excited about this.

Thursdays are a bit off for me, because I have a class after school. I have no idea how or why this happened, but I stay with my kids (the ones who show) for an hour after everyone has left. In effect, I have two last classes of the day. The official, and then the crazy after-hours.

Today, these end-of-the-day chitlins did me proud.

Regular Last Period: We took our pictures and I said thanks and goodbye, waving them out the door, but nobody moved. They all just sat there, savoring their last moments with me. I mean, that's really what they were doing. Oh-My-Gosh, it was so touching. Then, they sang me a song. I didn't understand a word, but who cares. That is bomb. Several of them started crying. Many of the girls came up for hugs and the boys to shake my hand. Afterwards they just kind of stood around looking at each other and at me. This went on in total for about 10 minutes, making me incredibly late to my extra class. But I mean, so what. It was just so sweet and personal.

And just like that I had everything I needed from Thailand. Living here has been such an important phase in my life, too important for me to let it slip away without paying the respect it deserves. I needed to know that my feelings were reciprocated in some way, and I saw it in my kids this afternoon. The huge stress bubble that has been hanging over my head, making a situation that should be very meaningful so difficult to manage, popped, and I could feel the tension start to release. 

And then, it happened again. With my late late class. This, I truly could not believe, as they are always itching to get out and go home (understandably, as am I). With this one, all of the emotion draining from body completely disappeared, to be replaced with nothing but contentment. 

It was so unexpected to all of a sudden find myself in a good place. At peace. It's wonderful. 

Although most of my other farewells have been sweet, none hit me like these two. This, my friends, is where it's at.

I got so lucky with my school, as my situation is not the norm for Thailand (or anywhere, for that matter). It's exceptional. Coming back for a second semester was the best thing I could have done for myself. These people and this place will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

----- Okay okay. Sappy, Miss You, Sob Stories finished. Time for me to get with the program. It was a good thing, and now I can dry up the tears (yeah, I cried), and enjoy the hell out of my time remaining, however long that may be. Done and Done. -----

No comments:

Post a Comment