Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh, Lady Boys

People told me about the Lady Boys before I was here, but it was something else that didn't quite register. This is an integral part of their culture; completely acceptable. It's not as though these people are only in the profession you might assume, but everywhere. Many waiters (waitresses*), at least one teacher at my school, office workers, etc etc. Now, they do congregate openly in certain really touristy areas for sure, but many of them are just living their lives in smaller towns and other areas. 

In school, I could point out from a mile away the boys who are pre-lady boy. Right now they still dress in the boys clothes and none of them in my classes wear make-up, but they are flamboyant. Seriously. Flitting their eyelashes and emphasizing their hips as they walk in class. Speaking with their hands, singing and dancing. From what I can tell they are a sort of go between the girls and boys at the younger levels, accepted and still comfortable in both groups. As they get older they congregate more with the girls. It's so interesting to watch. My second class on my first day I had a pre-lady boy in class and I was so surprised. "Hello Teacher, you are so beautiful. Tell me I'm beautiful," he said as he gave me his best beauty pageant wave and blew a kiss. True story. But then I got used to it just like everything else in Thailand.

By the time they are adults, I would bet you could only guess about 20% of them. Some of them want to be seen, some of them are better at disguising it. These men don't have adam's apples the same way western men do, so that's not a dead giveaway like I would have thought. It's much much more subtle, like jaw-lines. They are also not as obvious to us as the facial structure on western men. 

In many different situations, I have met and dealt with several lady boys. So far, they seem to be as friendly and kind as any other Thai I've come across. This is another situation that showcases the differences in our cultures. We think "oh, how bad," but most of the "bad" things that happen with the lady boys involve westerners. If it weren't for farang coming over and making an industry out of it, they wouldn't be there (only my opinion, only based on my very limited experience*). These people here do what they have to do to make money. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment