Monday, May 11, 2009

Kao San Road

After orientation, we stayed on Kao San Road for a couple of nights in Bangkok. It is supposed to be the place to stay, but it ended up being nothing like what Thailand is really about. It's interesting how people (myself included in the past for sure) pay so much money to travel somewhere just to do the things they do at home with the people they spend time with at home. A used-to-be backpackers' hub, now absolute tourist ghetto, foreigners were everywhere and the only Thai people you saw were selling useless things to foreigners at an extremely high price. 

There were street beggars and children asking you to buy things like flowers and trinkets. I always thought that would make me so sad, and it would if I let it. But in a situation like that, I decided I just have to get past it. No matter how I feel about it, I can't change it. And just because we feel one way about something doesn't make it wrong, it just makes it different. These kinds of things wouldn't be happening if people like us weren't perpetuation these situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment