After hearing nothing but amazing things about the island of Koh Samet, I was excited and had high expectations. That's where I went wrong, and where you will always go wrong in Thailand. I imagine during high season the sand and water could be quite beautiful, but this time of year it was nothing special.
On top of that, a typhoon hit the island our first night, so we spent the majority of the island getaway indoors. The rain was pretty hard, but the wind wasn't so bad. More than anything it kept us off the beach.
Also, the island was full of trash. Full. They charge so much money for people to get there, have all of these well-organized money making scams that about 95% of the tourists fall for, yet they can't manage to pick up the trash or build roads. That doesn't really work for me.
Our last day was nice and we were able to play in the water just a bit, that's the day I took my photographs. The rain and the trash would have been much more interesting, but I find that I think about my camera less and less here.
These pictures are backwards. Sorry.

We rode back to Si Racha on the motorbike, and this is what I looked like at the end of the trip. Maybe 70 kilometers or so.
We had to stop for petrol. It was so cool to see him churn up the red liquid like that. A first for me!
Getting the motorbike on and off the boat was a trip. We did this on the way to Koh Samet in the rain. We just kept waiting for it to slip off, but luckily the bike made it both ways.
Everyone had to walk the plank when we arrived back at the mainland, but on the way out I had to literally shimmy up the wood and tires on the side of the dock in order to get off of the boat.




No comments:
Post a Comment