Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Next Door Island

My first official working weekend in Thailand was amazing. I was not too concerned about finding new adventures and they came very easily. On Sunday I went to an island just across the way from my town (yes, that's right, only about a 2 minute drive and 40 minute boat ride) with one of the other farang teachers, Lia. It was, as always, quite an adventure. I have come to the conclusion that my constant state of mind when exploring Thailand is confusion. I have ALWAYS gotten everything I needed and every answer I wanted, but not once have they come in the way I would expect. Not that I have actual expectations, please don't misunderstand. Moreso, they do not come in the way I assume would be most natural or efficient.

There were a number of unusual things that happened to us on this particular outing.

1. We stopped at a Korean ship to drop off passengers in the middle of the gulf. It felt crazy to us to be in this teeny tiny boat riding up to a gigantic ship! It was a bit intimidating.

2. Dogs barked at us, big time. This was the first time I have seen any animal or person display aggresion in Thailand. It was by far the most afraid I have been. Really the only time I have been concerned for my safety in any manner. We were coming down a mountain (on what appeared to be a well-traveled, concrete step path) and had no where to go; they just appeared from the thicket. Both of us knew if they bit or chased us we were in trouble, but we also knew that running and freaking out wasn't going to help. Luckily, we both stayed calm. They came out onto the steps after we passed but did not follow us down. Phew.

3. The beach wasn't pretty. This is a constant surprise as this is something for which Thailand is well-known. From my understanding, the time of year really affects the beach aesthetics. Now we are in the rainy season, and the wind carries all the trash inland. By late September, I'm told I will be able to swim in these areas trash free.

4. Biggest jellyfish I have ever seen.

5. They let us ride on top of the boat on the way home. Not sure why this came as such a surprise to me; I've been in Thailand long enough to know that anything goes. It was nice though, and very unexpected.

6. In 200 yards, we went from one of the dirtiest, trashiest places I have ever seen to a beautiful seaside resort. This seems to be a recurring theme. On these islands, they only build up certain very small areas and the locals live surrounded in filth.

7. I went inside my first cave. It was so scary!!! There were bats and what I've been told is a sanctuary of sorts. It looked more like a prison to me..

8. All the tourists there were Thai people from other areas. It was surreal to see them with their cameras out riding around in Tuk Tuks. Local and tourist became immediately distinguishable.

9. We found all our transportation for free! It was unbelievable. People wanted 200 baht a piece for a ride to the pier (this is an absolutely ludicrous amount, we would have paid 60 for us both), and we were able to jump on the back of a truck free of charge with no hassle. It was a nice bonus.

This was us and the Thai and King's flags reflected in a motorcycle on the way back to Si Racha at the end of the day. The man who owns the motorbike drove us down to the beach for free. Very nice. We were planning to walk, but would have never made it in time to catch the last boat, and I wasn't about to pay for transportation. So expensive on such a small island!

My view from the top of the boat just before heading out. It was so nice to have the breeze, and it was easier to keep from getting seasick up top. Plus, we felt cool not to have to sit in a seat like everybody else..

After we went through the cave, this was on the other side. Not sure about the pool of water, but we kept our distance. Who knows what could be living in there! This was my first time to be in a real cave, and I really really hated it. So dark and scary!!

A view from above the cave of the old sanctuary (prison???). We're not exactly sure what it was used for but it has certainly been vacant for many years. The door was padlocked and some of the screens were ripped. Talk about creepy.

This puzzled us. Later we found out it meant you weren't allowed to bring dogs onto the island from other areas, because it is a rabies free zone. They want to keep it that way, which is good (obv). But like I said before, this is the only place I've seen dogs get angry. Maybe they just hadn't seen people in a very long time. Either way, NOT OKAY.

A view of the resort from the other side of the cliff. We ventured out quite a ways. It was absolutely beautiful but the waves crashing against the rocks below were a bit intimidating. We were very careful!

Me forging ahead.

In one of the dirty neighborhoods just before we reached the resort. The people here were very friendly and clearly not used to seeing farang. Most of the tourists on this island were other Thai's from the mainland.

On the way up to see Buddha's footprint. It was much smaller than I was expecting, but the trek was worth it for the views. All the houses here were so bright and colorful.

Right off the pier in town. Immediately we could see how this was different than the other tourist island we had visited. It was full of life and not so butchered by tourism yet.

Pulling up to the dock at Koh Si Chang Island.

We dropped these people off on their ship. It was very startling to see us come closer and closer towards this massive beast. A new experience for me, for sure. A lot of people live and work on these ships in the gulf and Si Racha is a popular stop for them. Many ships send smaller cargo boats from here to Bangkok, so it is always full of people. Never have I been on the water surrounded by huge ships before.

No comments:

Post a Comment