Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Local Saturday Evening, Amazing

So I cheated a little bit because I didn't have a camera with me on Saturday. Luckily, they do this 7 days a week. I even participated tonight (attempted to), but wasn't anywhere near keeping up with their speed and choreography. I'm sure they all got a laugh from the farang entertainment. I enjoyed it as well. I was completely lost 90% of the time, and when I finally would get something, they of course moved on immediately. No chance.

In the park by the Gulf. It's so beautiful and you can see all the people on the walking path. This is just on the other side of the aerobics class, and only a 10 minute walk from my apartment. It's so fantastic to have this at my fingertips. 

This may not look so intense and difficult to follow, but do not be fooled. I'd say in a week or so I'll have it down, but for now, I mostly just look like an uncoordinated monkey. It was fun and totally worth it though.

I was reading on a bench. This was my view. It's so nice and peaceful here. And so convenient for me.


Saturday afternoon and the city comes alive. It's booming. People flood the streets and parks near the water, exercising, playing games with family and friends, relaxing and sleeping. Everything is calm and peaceful, yet vibrant. A hard combination to master. I am in love. It is exciting and fresh and wonderful. This weekend, I was able to see the town in a new way from my motorbike. I am in awe of these people and their happiness, and thankful to be a part of their lives. Everyday I learn something new from them. 

This day I attempted (successfully) to find a temple I can see from my apartment. Picture of the hill in hand, I set off on the bike. After turning on a random street up into the mountain, I saw wild pigs and cows, immediately realizing the mountain life was different than the city life in Si Racha. Driving past houses until finding people outside, I stopped to say hello and ask for directions. Every day my Thai is improving, and I am now able to ask basic questions and usually understand simple responses. This has proven very useful. Even my attempt to speak their language makes these people all the more willing to go above and beyond to help me in any way they can. 

I had gone too far, and one of the locals had me follow him on his motorbike up to the temple in the mountain. To do this, I had to drive into traffic for about a kilometer. What a trip!

After the temple, I visited the park on the gulf, the happening spot in Si Racha. People were absolutely everywhere enjoying their Saturday evening. As the sun went down, children were riding skateboards and listening to music on the pier, 100s of people of all ages were doing aerobics en-mass. It was a fun sight for me. In many ways it reminded me of Town Lake in Austin, but much more alive. 

Then, I drove a bit and stumbled upon a night market, where I was able to comfortably speak to people in Thai, asking what things were and how much, etc etc. The food was cheap, hot and delicious. It was a perfect evening. 


I took a short video to give you somewhat of an idea of what it was like. I tried to keep up for about 15 minutes before deciding to stop for the day. They were only staying on one move for 30 seconds or so, just enough time for me to learn it, before moving on to something new I didn't know. It was a lot of fun to try and to be the only farang out there. The old Thai women behind me were certainly enjoying watching me! In no way did they attempt to try and hide their laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment