I was of course initially comparing it to my Korean experience. The biggest (or at least one of them, in so many ways it is just too drastically different to even compare) difference is how welcome I felt. These guys really REALLY want me here, or they are good enough actors to make me believe them. Either way works for me. They are so kind and giving, just like every other Thai person I have come in contact with in my short time in this country.
We are the first farang to teach here in quite some time, so this is a very new thing for teachers and students alike. The students are nervous, but curious and excited. They are not used to our voices or accents, and they ask us questions and often laugh in our faces when we respond. This takes a bit of getting used to and it might be my biggest challenge not to take it personally. I don't though.
The school is gigantic, and undeniably beautiful. I can see lush green mountains from my windows. These windows are always ALWAYS open, even if it is pouring down rain; the doors are all open as well. If a class is laughing and cheering in a different building, we can all hear them. It's open and airy and keeps things feeling very casual. That's a big thing too. Here, it is very relaxed, as is everything in Thai culture.
I teach in at least 10 different classrooms, and only one of them has a clock on the wall. It doesn't even work. By this example it should be blatantly obvious the importance they place on keeping time. None, it's non-existent. They just don't value it. Miraculously, work is still accomplished. A lot of it. More important than that, according to the other teachers and director, there is fun to be had. But I am absolutely okay with it.
Time was one of the greatest challenges for me on day 1. I was fine waiting for my students before class. Many show up 10, 15 even 20 minutes into class. Sometimes because they don't care, but often because they are coming late from a different teacher (who also doesn't have a clock in her room). I ran into trouble getting them out in a reasonable amount of time. I had no idea if we finished early, on time or late. I just let them go when I was done. I didn't have complaints from co-workers, but I personally found it really difficult to not know the time. Now I have my phone out at all times to help gauge the lesson.
It pretty hot and there's no A/C, but of the three farang teachers, I have by far done the best. Not exactly sure why but I'm thankful for it. As long as there is a bit of a breeze, I seem to be okay. Both of them have been completely drenched in sweat everyday this week.
So far, the days go quickly. It's hot, we work hard, we have a lot of fun. I sleep well now. All good.
No comments:
Post a Comment