Friday, December 18, 2009

UAE Culture 101.

It's only fitting I enlighten you on the culture of the 38-year-old country that is United Arab Emirates, because let's face it, after nearly 85 hours there, I've become a seasoned pro'. 

First of all, even though on the surface it was a complete 180 from Thai life, they have some basic similarities for everyone to keep in mind. The differences seem to come in the degree of importance. Two examples I have for you in this department are 1. Not pointing the soles of your feet directly at anyone, and 2. Don't eat with your left hand.

In Thailand, from my experience the feet thing is the more important of the two. This is great for me as a left-handed individual. In UAE, it was the opposite. No left hand. No left hand. No left hand. Woah. Quite a challenge.

Now, I assume you're sitting at home pondering the idea, trying to come up with an answer to Why in the heck can't they eat with their left hand? I'll tell you, but I'm not so sure you're gonna' like what I have to say. Imagine a time before toilet paper. What would you do? Well, these people apparently reserved their left hand for the purpose of umm, you know... G-Ross. So, nowadays, when I accidently pass the rice with my southpaw, it's generally frowned upon. In AD, I was told that I wouldn't so much offend, rather disgust the locals. Nice, that's exactly what I want. Let me disgust you while I eat. Super. 

No pointing the soles of your feet seems to be much more of a rule in Thailand, and here it is based on the belief that your feet are the dirtiest part of your body (literally and in the sense that they are farthest from Heaven). It would also be rude to touch someone's head in Thailand, as it's the cleanest and holiest part of the body. 

Some other cultural differences in Abu Dhabi of which you should familiarize yourself:

3. No pictures. This is why my photos are only in the desert. It is technically illegal to take pictures in AD. It is against the Muslim religion for them to be photographed?!! Is this really true? I looked it up on google for like .3 seconds and couldn't verify this information. Don't quote me on that last part.

4. Unlike all other Asian countries I have visited (I'm up to 7 now!), they don't expect or even want you to try and speak their language. From what I've been told, part of this may be because they don't want infidels speaking the language of the Koran. Regardless of their reasoning, they all speak English very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment