Friday, December 18, 2009

So Over It

Aaaaaaaaaand, here's my list:

1. Pop stars at work. Yeah, I'm so over it. I have a class to teach, and if I were a student, I'd be skippin' too. Imagine someone along the lines of JT coming to visit a high school stateside. It'd be chaos; everything would stand still during the performance. Absolutely no class. Or, intelligently, the concert would be held after school. No no, here we can't be bothered with that nonsense. Instead they host a concert for ONE GRADE (out of 6) in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY. I'm supposed to teach????! Students are dancing and singing their way to euphoria right in the classroom. That is, if they could even manage to come. Not likely! 

2. Lack of respect. So over it. We're foreigners. Farang. No same same Thai teacher, no Ma'am. Sometimes this puts us in difficult positions. Students don't listen because A. They can't understand, but mostly B. They don't care, or C. They know they don't really have to, or even D. They can just lie their way out of it. What do you expect me to do with that? Sure kids, go ahead and pummel each other into the ground. Knock his teeth out. And don't mind me, I'm just your silly farang teacher. Us Americans have been saving our energy and calling on the Thai teachers more often than usual, because it's just not worth it anymore. We hardly ever see our students (because, you know, we have pop stars come to school), so the last thing we want to do is get ourselves involved in showdowns with kids who live for this kind of stuff.
-- I would like to note: this morning I took a leap when one student blatantly smacked the crap out of another not 10 feet from me; this young lady was throwing quite a fit. Both girls were well aware I was watching, and not concerned in the slightest. That's the thing, they don't think we have the right to do anything (which, is mostly true) so they pull this s***. Ugggggggggh. --

3. Last Minute Information. SOI. It doesn't matter how over this one I am though, as long as I am in Thailand, it's what I'll get. 

4. High season. Oh, I'm so over it. Where did my Thailand on a whim go? No more no more no more. Everything has to be organized and planned and booked with a credit card a month in advance and yada yada yada, blah blah blah. What an unnecessary hassle. Tourists ruin everything. It is absolutely beautiful now, but I can hardly get anywhere. Booerns.

5. Being away from home on Christmas. Gah. Why do I do this to myself??? So friggin' over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment