Monday, December 21, 2009

Fed Up with FB

This is a travel blog, and I get that. But I think this is a valid place for my rant as facebook is becoming an increasingly inherent part of a traveler's life. Everybody and their dog (or their monkey) is on it. It's becoming so relevant in fact, that it's difficult to live without. 

I'll start by admitting most people I have mentioned this to don't seem to mind what's happening with their information right now. My conversations lead me to believe this is a cheese stands alone kind of rant, but man, does it seriously chap my hide. I'm not so arrogant to think that of the hundreds of millions of photos on this site, someone is going to single mine out and use it in a way I don't appreciate (although this situation is still possible). Rather, what they are doing with my information and who they are giving it to is what's ruffling my feathers. Every single thing ever to cross my account will be locked in cyberspace forever. I went to deactivate, and those heifers had the nerve to tell me that even after I close it down, I can still be tagged, invited to events, and messaged by my friends. Excuse me?

In my opinion, fb started out as a great idea. It was limited to university students, and at that time I thought it was the bomb.com. Now, mammas and babies and grandmas and even little doggies all over the world are writing on these walls (which of course you know, I'll stop preachin' to the choir). 

Since life took me abroad, I have loved it for keeping up with family and friends back home, but I can't stand that google, along with thousands of ad agencies and credit card companies are now privy to my 411. These new privacy settings are total shamsickle. As a previously unfindable individual, I was furious when a student tried to add me today. A student. This sent me spiraling off into a deep, black rage. Hence, the rant.

I could really go on and on and on here, but you get it. I hate facebook. I'm sure they'll put a hit out on me as soon as one of their cyberspies reads my post, and that will take care of that.

UPDATE** There is a difference between deactivating and actually deleting your account. The former will keep all of your information in a stand-still on fb until the day you are ready to come back (why I would be receiving messages and invites, etc), but the latter will make it cease to exist. Apparently, no trail. This is how I did it.

It'd be really cool if people started saying to hell with it and doing some research after reading this, but I'm realistic. Enjoy your facebook, people ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment