Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Bright Side

After two hyper-negative posts, I'm ready for some excitement and positivity. It's coming at you in the form of a wedding. Wahoo.

The wedding itself, meh. We didn't even get to see it. We went to the after party, which really meant get everyone together for fancy dinner and toasts. The end. Very western, but without the fun parts like dancing and music and open bars.

My enjoyment came in the time spent with the Thai teachers. To be fair, the majority of it seemed like work; I felt cramped and a bit trapped- going here, seeing this, pulled along. Five hours round-trip in a van for two hours at the reception. But, there were a few sweet moments that made it all so worthwhile. 

We are in the process of crossing over into a new phase with our Thai teachers, and I am loving it. They are starting to touch us (haha, yeah yeah). For example, maybe they will grab our hand or pat us on the back, or link arms and then drag us along aimlessly for a few minutes. Their comfort levels are increasing and they are very protective. I dig it.

That's Pi Ben and Madam up there (don't they look happy?!). I was taking candid shots, and although they love hamming it up for the camera, I guess they don't appreciate being unprepared :). Both women helped me to cross the street below, in a clearly A-okay traffic situation. I mean, these cars were moving at about 15 mph, and people were darting out everywhere. Any of those vehicles was ready and waiting for me to cross, but no no. I had to stay back, my hand was grabbed and I was drug across at what was deemed an appropriate time. Omg I loved it. I think they are just adorable. Being away from home during the holidays is probably weighing in on my feelings towards this new behavior, but like I said, I just love it. 

Even cuter, they each did it at separate times, unaware of the other's actions. Awww.

We stopped before dinner at a market in Petchaburi, where the ceremony was taking place. Above is a street in town on our way back to the van. 

Pi Ow (like Oww! that hurts!) and I. Her daughter was the bride. It was so cute to see how happy she was, running around and chatting up a storm.

See me in there?? They made us go and try to catch the bouquet. Sooo embarrassing. We have never even met the bride!! I was certain I was going to catch it since I am a foot taller than everyone. Resident giant, ready and waiting. Luckily, I think she had someone in mind before the toss. Super lucky, because the "winner" had to go up on stage and talk. So. Not. Happening.

Sweet moment part dos: When we were being talked into/forced to cluster with all the other single ladies, one of the teachers told me when I get married she will fly to America for the ceremony. She is so invited. Totally made my night.

Teachers from my school. You can tell the mother of the bride as she is the only one in traditional dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment