Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Into the Wild

My second attempt at finding this waterfall (Chan Ta Then -- I implore you to read these amazing details, specifically about the pathways) was again a failure. This time I thought I'd pulled out all the stops, which basically meant I would get there in time to beat the moon. No one wants to be trekking through the jungle after dark!

Even though it was great to really get back in it and hike up the rocks like a true woodsman, I have to admit we were deterred by a komodo dragon the length of a car (reality: a water monitor the length of my arm). You would be too! 

The thing is, we haven't been able to figure out how to find the big guns aka actual waterfall apart from literally trekking up through the pools and rocks. This route, which I've now tried twice, is all natural. On one hand, that obviously makes it awesome. On the other, confusing. It's incredibly difficult to tell how far we've gone and what is left since we're mostly crawling up rocks. 

We rationally determined after spotting this vicious, deadly predator that there must be a foot path along the falls. We found no such path, and after further online research, no conclusive information has been discovered. Everything kind of sort of ambiguously hints at the possibility of the likelyhood of a path near the falls. Very useful, Thailand.

I guess third time will have to be the charm when it comes to defeating Chan Ta Then. Round two goes to the falls. 






No comments:

Post a Comment