Saturday, July 11, 2009

You Do Have to Be Careful..

This should be down with the other Koh Chang posts, but I cannot figure out how to manipulate the blog so it's not in chronological order. If you know how to do this, tell me tell me! 

One night on the island, a friend that had been traveling with us had a run-in with some Thais. He was alone, so I do not know the entire story, but from what I gather, there was a misunderstanding that ended up costing him 5000 baht and a beating. In Thailand, many bars (especially in very touristy areas) have women working there that men can purchase for the night. Agree with it or not, it is simply part of the culture. It's here. 

For some reason, one of the women thought he was going to take her home, which was not his intention. She followed him out of the bar, and when he refused, she turned violent. This is the part of the story that is a bit fuzzy to me, as it seems quite odd she would become so angry. Either way, she did. Spitting on him, kicking him, scratching him. She brought some of her male Thai friends over and they completely wrecked his motorbike and he was able to get away on foot. The police came later and picked up the bike, so he had to retrieve it the next morning. 

When he arrived at the police station, he was given two options. To either pay 5000 baht, or go to jail,  because the woman was threatening to press charges. For what, right? According to her, he hit her first and that is why she attacked him and they totaled the motorbike. I don't know exactly what happened, but I am positive he did not hit her. If something like this happens though, you will never win the battle with Thai police if you are fighting against locals. Going to jail in Thailand is simply no option. It would have cost him incredible amounts of money, and he most definitely would have lost his job. Luckily, he was able to pay and walked away relatively unscathed. He was very, very lucky.

I've heard other similar stories of farang trying to defend themselves, or accidentally finding themselves in a situation without fully realizing the potential consequences and ending up in jail for things they did not do. Moreso than not, it is farang men, not women, who have this problem, but it still happens.

Although I feel very safe, I am always extremely careful about where I am and what could possibly happen. I never ever want to upset a Thai to the point where they might become violent, as it will never work out for me in the end. 

If you are traveling here, enjoy it as it is absolutely amazing. But, keep in mind these things do happen. You must always be careful and be aware.

1 comment:

  1. Scary story. I guess that'll teach him to turn down a woman.

    ReplyDelete