This island is huge, with something for everybody. For the more adventuresome, jungle and elephant treks, kayaking in the mangroves, extreme jungle transport (something like ziplines, etc to cross from one side of the island to the other), dirt bike riding, diving, snorkeling, and several other really impressive things. For the more relaxed at heart, they have beautiful beaches, which during off-season aren't frequented with tourists or Thais looking for a buck, great massages, unbelievable food and fantastic accommodation. Whatever it may be you are looking for, I guarantee you'll find it on Koh Chang.
On the other hand, the entire island is a jungle mountain, with only very little of the beach front developed. The roads are windy and narrow, and the drivers are reckless. Several farang die every year from motorbike accidents on this island. After seeing the roads, I decided I would never rent a bike here. It is simply much too dangerous. Riding around in the songtaews can prove scary as well. When possible, I opted to pay a driver to sit in an actual car. This worked out fairly well for me, but I was lucky.
There is never a dull moment on Koh Chang, unless of course that is what you want. Everyday was filled with something new and exciting. From staying in an incredibly low-budget guest house right on the water to moving to a little nicer bungalow just off the beach, I was able to see a bit of the accommodation options. Again, anything you are looking for you can find. They have something to fit every budget and every need, and this is only on one beach. There are several other beaches I did not have time to venture down into.
All in all, an absolutely fantastic holiday. The next five posts show pics and details of some of the highlights from the trip. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment