Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Real Swiss Family Robinson Adventure

On Koh Chang, I stayed in three different accommodations, with increasingly more luxurious conditions. All were on White Sands Beach.

1. Independent Bo Bungalow - 200 baht a night per room.
2. 15 Palms maid quarters - 400 baht a night per room.
3. 15 Palms - 700 baht a night per room.

I was splitting rooms whenever possible, so only paid 700 baht my last night, otherwise about 200 every night.

The first was a ways off the main road down on the beach. It was fun, quirky, and Swiss Family Robinson Style. The bungalows were built up into the jungle so to get to any given room was a trek. I am not sure how people don't get hurt, as it rains constantly, but everyone seemed okay. We were definitely careful. All of the rooms had different themes, nothing was the same anywhere. It was an incredibly cool idea, but ultimately it was dirty and had no A/C. There was mosquito netting, and bugs everywhere. The floor had cracks in it and I could see right through. The bathroom was just a concrete floor, no flushable toilet, and a shower head. After using the bathroom you had to shovel water from a bucket into the commode and it just sort of trickled down. No fun. No sink. The doors didn't really close and the walls weren't entirely connected, so you never knew what "friends" would be waiting for you inside. I was very impressed with myself for staying the first night, but that was enough for me. Here are some pics from Independent Bo. It looked very, very cool and had a great vibe.














My view from the bed behind the mosquito netting. I was so excited to have it, and glad I can check it off the list. Will be avoiding it in the future if possible. Although, it wouldn't have been so bad if the bed was four-poster. Without the posts, the netting just lay all around me, so I had very little room to move.














My floor, with part of the cracks covered up by duct tape. Didn't seem very safe..














The awesome view from my balcony.


















The stairs leading up to my room.














Another balcony. 


















The community toilet. Each room came with it's own as well, but as I said before, none were flushable. 


















Lia heading up from the main sitting area to her room. They had a few open areas for relaxing, watching movies, and the bar when you first came into the bungalow. To get to the rooms, you had to travel through at least part of this, depending on which side you stayed.














Some of the decor. They had sooo much stuff everywhere. 














The bungalow as seen from the beach.


















More stuff. Who knows. I like it, though.

The second night a few of us were interested in finding a new place, so we went in search of budget accommodation. By the afternoon, we weren't able to find anything in our price range, but one hotel let us stay in the maid's quarters. It was so nice to have a real bathroom and A/C. We were a little ways on the other side of the road (away from the beach), but it was no problem. What a great night's sleep!














Man, we were excited to have this!














The restaurant and bar of our second place. It was right on the water, and they had great Western and Thai food. So nice!














Ahh, total relaxation. The same bungalows, but an actual room. We were so thrilled to have this little bit of luxury. It was worth every single baht to have a hot shower, flat screen TV, and a clean room. Quite rejuvenating, and this little taste made me miss home and all the little luxuries we have more than anything else thus far. Before this trip, I was planning on moving up into the north next session to get a feel of more authentic Thailand. I now believe the weekend excursions will suffice, and I decided to start paying for hot water in my apartment :).

No comments:

Post a Comment