One afternoon we went kayaking in the mangroves. At first it felt pretty similar to kayaking in Town Lake, until we actually got into them, and then it was a whole different world. I felt like I was straight out of Man Vs. Wild, pretty fantastic.
I was surprisingly terrified of the kayak running into the mangroves, and of course we managed to plow right into them head first. After the front end of the kayak and my legs were intwined, I lost all fear. I was yelling for steering assistance but Liza's paddle was caught (a common occurrence), so I realized we were doomed and let it happen. It was hysterical. No harm done. It happened too quickly for photos and that's a real shame. We were up in there pretty good.
We thought we were going to have a guide, instead we were given a map. This map had different routes that we could and could not take, but the differences weren't marked. Luckily, between the five of us, our memories were strong enough to get us back.
View of the kayaks from our starting point.
Liza and I in the middle of the closed mangrove section of the trip.
Heading into the mangroves. Right from the openness into the darkness and depths. So great.
What a view from the open lake.
All the fishing boats lining the docks as we were heading out to the lake area.
No comments:
Post a Comment