Monday, June 29, 2009

A Typical Weekday

Here in Si Racha, my weeks are fairly routine. Routine for Thailand, of course, does not mean the same thing as in the states. It's in no way monotonous or boring. I push my time everyday, and make it early, on time, or very late depending on whether or not I catch the light. 

Getting my motorbike out and starting it is challenge number one each day. Sometimes I am lucky and it is not blocked in, other times it takes at least 5 minutes for me to maneuver it around the cars and other bikes. It's heavy! Then I'm off to school, where my time is completely controlled by the main light on my road. Cars, trucks and motorbikes line up all the way back to my apartment (which is a good 300 yards) and I am happy to see this. It means hopefully the light will turn soon. This is a situation where my increased comfort level and maneuverability on the bike comes in handy. If I sit in my spot in line, I have to wait possibly for two lights, which could equal up to fifteen minutes time, easy. Instead, I have to squeeze through cars in line and boldly drive myself into oncoming traffic. All of the motorbikes do this, so they are used to it. It's still scary though! At the front of the line, sitting with upwards of 20 motorbikes, I wait indefinitely for the police officer directing morning traffic to change the light to green. I get the go, and it takes less than 2 minutes to reach school. So, it can literally take me anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes to get to school every day. I never know.

Immediately after arriving at school, (still driving the motorbike) I am bombarded by students and fellow teachers giving greetings. I have to steer my way around groups of students playing in the drive and cleaning the grounds. Many stop and wave, also say hello, etc. It is most warm and welcoming, but I feel as though this part of my job is comparable to a worker at Disney World or on a cruise ship. I just smile and nod. Always, always smile. It can be tiring, but at least it's positive.

Shuffling through classes all day, sweating, laughing, yelling, dancing, who knows. I teach four of seven periods each day. This may seem like a lot of free time, but it's necessary in the heat. I'd die without it.

I leave and head home to take a shower. Absolute first thing is shower, because every day I smell. I am hot and sweaty and tired. I need it.

Daily, my food intake consists of rolls stuffed with bean paste for breakfast, for lunch ice and fruit, maybe some fried rice, fanta (I am newly addicted. It's delish!), and then a full Thai meal for dinner. I have recently started a cereal afternoon snack, which is an amazing addition to my day.

On the weekends, anything goes. My goal is to do or see something new every weekend, whether that be in Si Racha or traveling. So far, it's going brilliantly. It is always different, and always unexpected. I do love Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment