Monday, June 29, 2009

All Other Transportation

*I grabbed all these photos from google images. As I take my own, they will be replaced; just haven't gotten around to it yet..

Trains: I have yet to experience this, but from what I've heard they are more expensive and slower, but worth it to see at least once. It can be quite an eventful trip on a train from what I've heard. This is how most people travel overnight. Many busses also go to big destinations 24/7. If your location is more remote, it will be a bigger challenge. Remember that any price on any wall always has the potential to be negotiated. 

Tuk Tuks: 











These are crazy expensive for what you get from it (for farang, crazy cheap for Thais), but you must do it at least once. Determine your price beforehand and haggle like none other. It might not work, but definitely try. I would never pay more than something like 15 baht a person, but I am cheap and negotiate with them like there's no tomorrow. Many people are willing to pay more. Either way, you have to do this if you are in Thailand.

Cabs: A much cheaper alternative, especially if you are traveling with others. They start at 35 baht in most places (this is about a dollar), 30 baht in others. Time ticks away pretty slowly at first, so you get the most bang for your buck. Always make them use the meter. It will never be to your advantage if you negotiate a price beforehand. 

Motorbike Taxis:









These can be very cheap, or very expensive. You must haggle a price beforehand. Never accept their first offer. There are often several motorbike taxi drivers congregated on street corners, and they wear a vest-like cover and are thus easily identifiable.

Songtaews: 








These are truck taxis, and you ride in a covered bed. They are incredibly cheap, usually only 7 or 8 baht per ride. Prices are stable and listed on the trucks. The only downside is that they have specific routes, like the busses. They drop you off where you want along the ride, but will not detour to a specific location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment