In Orientation my first week in Thailand, we had all these questions they didn't have answers to, and they would say "This is Thailand" or "T I T". It drove me nuts (although I immediately let it go, because, well, this is Thailand). They use it as a response to something (anything and everything) that doesn't make sense or add up to us, because as you've likely gathered, Thailand doesn't always make sense. For whatever reason, I didn't particularly care for the way it sounded ("TIT". I'm sure you get it..). But today for the first time, I found myself thinking, "TIT", and then right after thinking "NOOOOOO. Meh, oh well."
The reason: This morning we were informed very casually that we would not be teaching in the afternoon, because the students would be cleaning the school. Normally, one might go, "What did you say, I must not have heard you correctly." Instead, I just said sounds good and though TIT. No teaching occurred after lunch and all 2700-some odd students whistled while they worked. It was quite a sight.
Once I realized the magnitude of this cleaning, I was in awe. And then my mind went to what would happen if students did this in America. Thought number 1: Lawsuit. These buildings are 3 and 4 stories high, and students were literally climbing out of the windows on the top floors to clean. Hanging outside the wooden frames leaning over to reach a spot. It was fantastic and intriguing to watch. As far as I could see, there was no supervision. All the English teachers were in our office working, no one was dictating to the children. That's right, children.
It was a good lesson, and from what I could see they didn't mind. They were all in good spirits. If we had our students in America do this once a semester (the amount of times this happens at my school in Si Racha), they might think twice about throwing trash on the ground or leaving things behind in a room. These students cleaned for three hours straight. They cleaned EVERYTHING. Inside and outside on the school grounds. They were sweeping and cleaning out ditches, pulling weeds, etc, etc, etc.
I didn't have my camera, but Lia did, and here are some of her pics from the afternoon. So glad someone was able to document the craziness!

Some of the students in the morning before school pulling weeds on campus. On Thurdays, we have our "morning talks" (remember, the Hokey Pokey..), but when we came in today the kids were all sweeping and cleaning. We didn't know what was happening.

From our building looking at kids in the building directly across the way. It was so entertaining to watch them crawl around like monkeys while no one stopped them or fretted. They were cleaning, for sure, but they were just being kids. This is a sight you'd never see in America. Too bad.

Look closely at all the kiddos in these windows. Again, it was really amazing to watch. I do and see new and crazy things everyday here, but this is at the top of my list, for sure. It was just awesome to see.

So teachers were helping in some areas. Helping hand chairs out through windows while children scale the walls like Spiderman.

They saw us watching and waved to us. They love us :).
All smiles around here. They are a happy people, and that makes me happy. All in all, another fantastic Thai day.
SO funny that the first thing you thought was LAWSUIT!! I bet trial lawyers would go INSANE in countries like Thailand.
ReplyDelete