It was just so so Thailand. Yet completely different. I spent over an hour waiting in one of the nicest, if not the absolute nicest, hospital I have ever been inside. Unexpected. It was ultra-modern, ultra-clean, downright swank. Sitting on real leather couches while receptionists dressed as stewardesses (matching high heels included) waited on patients. Their uniform consisted of a muted glittery gold fitted dress and thick bright gold belt, brown heals with little gold bows in the back. Nurses in similar, flight attendant-esque attire (blue color-coordinated skirt suits, high heels, some even had on little hats...) were also fluttering about. It was as though we were about to board Asiana Airlines or a fancy schmancy cruise line. So unreal.
Nothing serious went down while we were waiting, but I can't even imagine watching these women (yes, every last one of them was a woman) run down the hall with a gurney in her high heels and hat to help someone in need. Or rush anywhere for that matter. So very inappropriate, but as always, quite a sight to see.
And, when they said we had to get tested, they really meant they were going to check our blood pressure and ask us if we were sick. I'm sure this cost an arm and a leg for Thailand, but lucky for me, it was on Mediakids.
Best part of the day: I didn't have to teach my worst class! This was sooo exciting. In my notes after week one I wrote "Satan Children!!!!", and thus far, they have shown little improvement. At least today I found it wasn't just me, the Thai teacher who covered for me said they were hell on earth. I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign for the weeks to come..
No comments:
Post a Comment