Many of them come from a part of their longer name, and I suppose some are random English words. Most have meanings in English that don't relate at all to their names, so it can be confusing and entertaining. And they often don't sound like we pronounce them. For example, fang is pronounced "faeng" for some girls and "fahng" for others. It happens because in Thai they have different letters to represent all the sounds, whereas we simply have A for "ah, ae, ehh, etc. etc." They find the difficulty I have pronouncing their English names highly amusing.
Other examples: Ploy, Kick, Miew (like a cat), Arm, Bank, Pond, Boat, Film, Fine.
Since we have 40-50 students in each class, mostly the students go by their number instead of their names. I know it sounds harsh, but it seems to work just fine. Plus, saying "What do you think, Porn?" doesn't quite sound right. I do know about 3 names in each class, those that belong to the best and worst students..
No comments:
Post a Comment