Monday, June 8, 2009

We Don't Have This in America...

What are they doing to this car? It's not gas. Oil? Either way, it's pretty common and I've never seen anything like it before coming here.

Okay, so we do have stuff like this, but this guy was hanging out in our apartment complex. Anytime I see a green, slightly scary bug, it will forever remind me of sitting on the porch with my sister in Wimberly. There was a Caty-did (sp?), and we were absolutely terrified. Screaming and running around trying to make it go away. Sooo ridiculous, so hilarious. Just in case you don't know, they are even less intimidating than this guy. We're cool.

Complimentary ice cream balls served on dry ice. Interesting, and delicious. The teachers took us out to eat at this place called California Steak House in Si Racha after the funeral. It was a very special treat for us. My first time to eat real American food since being in Thailand, and it was amazing steak!

Hand made bows. I even made one! Not so easy.. They have been making them at my apartment for a ceremony with the monks. From what I gather, they are given as an offering. Each one has a baht coin inside of it. They also have them at funerals.

I went to the funeral two different days, and on the last day they burn the body. At one point in the ceremony the monks threw these handmade bows out as an offering and many children waited and scattered to collect them for the money. Through this experience I learned that like the dogs, people leave unwanted children in the temples because they believe they will be cared for by monks and other visitors. Although to you and I this appears very sad, when I questioned it during the ceremony, the Thai people accompanying me showed no remorse or compassion. They seemed completely indifferent. Everyday it is telling how our cultures are so different, but this is not in the usual way. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. 

It's funny how quickly I adjusted to eating food with its head still attached. One of the teachers so kindly took us out for lunch after Wai Kru, and this fish was absolutely delicious. 

I've been told that this was a scorpion, also a giant ant. Not really sure. It was right outside of my apartment. Either way, I'll be staying away from this guy. Maybe two, even three inches long. Yeesh. We almost walked into him on our way home from dinner..

I've now found out it's a whip scorpion. Not poisonous, but releases a vinegar spray when bothered. This I smelt for sure.

Durian (both English and Thai). Farang in general, myself included, don't usually care for the smell of Durian. It tastes alright if you can get past that, nothing special. However, durian chips are fantastic! And expensive. But a fun and healthier treat every once in awhile.

Mangosteen (English). Mangkot (Thai). These are delicious but soooo messy until you learn how to peel them. Sweet and refreshing, but if you're not careful they can leave purple stains all over your hands, face and clothes. Well worth it to learn how to peel... Arroy Mak!!

Rambutan (English). Ngooh (Thai). I can't even begin to tell you how to pronounce the Thai. Something like "new" without the w, but not quite. Not as good as the mankgot, but less messy. A bit more challenging to peel, and smaller, but once they are open they're easy to eat without messing up your clothes and face. Sweet and juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment