Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wonderful, Wonderful Wai Kru

Today rivaled the best of them. We participated in an annual ceremony held throughout Thailand where students pay respect to their teachers. Wai-ing is the Thai way of showing respect, and Kru is a word for teacher (the word we use more commonly is "adjarn"). 

Wednesday afternoon all classes were cancelled so students could prepare their flower offerings and practice for this morning's ceremony. We also did not have regular scheduled meetings the first three periods today, Thursday. Students sat in different areas throughout campus according to level and presented teachers with beautiful flower arrangements, each flower representing something different in Thai culture.

What I found most beautiful was after the ceremony. Former students (still in school but now have different teachers) rushed into the English Department and bowed and hugged their past home room teachers. Many were crying, they were all laughing and hugging. It was incredibly moving. I didn't cry until one of my fellow teachers presented an elder teacher with flowers and they both started crying. Apparently, she was a student several years ago. Very very sweet. I completely understand why someone would choose to be a teacher here, and I could visibly see how respected the position is today.

These are all my students (I have about 300 more, in a different area)!!! They were so cute this morning. This little girl turned to the left here is a favorite of mine. Her nickname is Nut. Yes, they have the strangest nicknames.

The students were standing up and chanting before the ceremony. These were some of the arrangements they presented to us afterwards.

Here they were Wai-ing us. See how they are sitting on the ground heads all the way to the floor. This is showing an incredible level of respect. It means that they are willing to put their heads -- the most precious part of their bodies (closest to heaven), at the level of our feet -- the worst, dirtiest part of our bodies. It was overwhelming to sit there and receive such an honor. They usually save this Wai (or a similar one) for Buddha or the King. 

One of the coolest, sweetest things I have ever seen. The students flooded into our office to pay respect to their previous teachers after the ceremony. They patted them all on the heads as they knelt before them and many of them hugged. It was very sincere and moving.

Student/teacher hugs. What a fantastic day.

Some of the beautiful arrangements. The white flowers are jasmine, so the entire room smelled absolutely amazing all day. I absolutely adore the two teachers in the background. They are very kind, generous and hilarious people. I spend a lot of my break time chatting with them.

I couldn't choose between the photos above and below, so you get to see both. 




The colors were beautiful and so vivid.

Several of the women in the English department. The two younger Thai women are Japanese teachers, and the three older Thai women also teach English. Then there is Lia and I, she is second from the left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment