Well, I wanted to go to Bali because umm, DUH, it's Bali. But I also needed some time to get away and evaluate my life and goals. An unexpected turn of events has really got me thinking and Holy Schnozberries I have some decisions to make. Like, it's go time. What do I want to do now?
I'm gonna' level with you here. I'm scared to go home. Didn't expect that one, did ya'? I've been gone for so long now. I'm different. You're different. I'm terrified of feeling like an outsider in my own home, which is exactly what's going to happen. Now, that doesn't mean I can't get through it, but for now the warm, cheery comforting thoughts of Texas and America are gone with the wind. I recognize this is a normal part of
long-term travel, and I will say I have high hopes for readjustment.
But then, how am I going to make a living? I mean, really? So I can teach. Ehhh. Or I could write. I would love this one, but I'm realistic enough to know it's likely nothing more than a pipe dream. This is how I see it going:
Me: Hi National Geographic, Texas Monthly. I think your amazing magazine would benefit from having me as part of the team. Where do I sign?
NG/TM: Oooh, that's sweet. Quietly shuts door in face. End scene.
So that leaves me with what? Hooking? Kidding. I know there are other options; I'm just not particularly psyched about any of them.
So then maybe I teach abroad again, this time in an affluent country (Hong Kong and UAE in the running) and save some big bucks. But after, then what? How is it that my only real goals are to be married, be happy, and be a mother? Take a chill pill. Not tomorrow or anything. Like. The future. Isn't this a problem though? Isn't it exactly why women go to college and educate themselves, so they have more options and independence? And here I go not setting a good example. The thing is, I want a job. I just don't have any career goals. Woah. I guess I should join the ranks of millions of other Americans sitting on their couches eating bon-bons with their right hand and cheetos with their left, whilst strategically flipping channels and waiting for Mr. Wonderful to fall out of the sky and into my lap. Yes, I see that working out stupendously. It's just, I'm not lazy. I don't want to sit around all day without a job. Quite the predicament.
Okay, okay, I would assume well over half the American population doesn't actually like their J-O-B. We all have to work. I get it. I'm on it. I guess I'll dive into the corporate world and suck all of the money out of it I can get. Every last penny.
Moving on to some recent personal realizations:
- I'm not, nor will I ever be a competitive journalist. I feel extremely uncomfortable invading people's personal space by taking photographs or pushing them to answer questions. Not for me. I only see myself working on long-term personal projects.
- I could be a nature and/or landscape photographer.
- My only potential career goal is writing. Go me.
- I am a moderate adventurer, if you will (I know. Shocking I can do anything in moderation).
No comments:
Post a Comment