Instead I asked about the possibility of neighboring cities. This, apparently, was their cue to inform me that not only is it possible in Si Racha, I have a plethora of options. AirBus, VIP, local, or city. And two new bus stations I have never heard of from which to catch a ride. After months of questioning my wonderful but flighty Thai/English teachers, the information comes when I'm not looking for it. Sounds about right for Thailand. This is exceptional news, as I no longer have to transfer busses in the cluster-F that is MohChit Bus Terminal.
Here's the weekend in short: Arrive in Korat 12:30 a.m. after 5 and a half hours on an airbus. 257 baht. Go to Bar Nana; have a drink outside and people eat spicy soup. Sleep at Tokyo Mansion. 105 baht. Wake up 9 am, soup for breakfast. A little over hour no aircon bus ride to Pi Mai, location of Long Tail Boat Races and weekend festival. 50 baht. Check into dorm-like guest house. 18 people in one room, about 11 beds. 150 baht per person. No A/C. Sounds like trouble. Turns out it was; I snagged a bed. Sweet. Check out boat races. Use our western mugs to bypass regular seating and relax in the shade with the press. Way up close. Lots of fun. Excruciating heat. Shower. Nap. Read. Laser Show in the Ruins. Amazing ruins. Great cultural show and interpretive dance. Fireworks. No lasers. Hmm. Excellent fried noodles and a few drinks. Back early to claim my sleeping space. A few hours of chaos trying to defend my space. Delicious red curry breakfast. Waiting for the bus. Standing on the bus for over an hour. No A/C, blowing hot air. My hair got tangled in the vent. Ouch. Another 50 baht. Four and a half hour VIP bus to Si Racha. 310 baht. Home by 7.

One of Rachel's photos from the cultural show that took place inside the ruins.
No comments:
Post a Comment