Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Leonid Meteor Shower, Asia Style

Soooo, I was informed yesterday of the supposedly kick-A meteor shower that would be blasting its way through our night sky, and Thailand was prime position. We read anywhere from 150-300 meteors falling an hour visibility, and we were psyched. 

My fellow Americans and I (hahaha), set our alarms at the lovely hour of 4:15 a.m., dragged our exhausted butts outside, and strained our necks for almost an hour attempting to catch a glimpse of what we expected to be prime time meteor sighting. 

Between the three of us, I think we caught 5 shooting stars. Not sure if we were too early or too late, but we certainly missed the boat.

I did, however, look at some pictures like the ones below, and have a very convincing dream that I got to see them later in the morning. When I woke up, I was pretty excited that it had all worked out. It took at least 10 minutes for me to realize that, in fact, I had not seen them. That was a bit of a bummer..

AP photo from 2001.

This was taken in Tucson last night. If they saw it, I know we could have. Just not sure when..

No comments:

Post a Comment