Thursday, November 12, 2009

Competitions, Anniversaries and Miscellaneous Shenanigans

Our second week back to school and we already have two days of no teaching. I dig it. The first, Wednesday, Si Racha School hosted competitions for everything under the sun and invited several local schools to attend. In the English department, we had to judge the events. I felt much too important, but it was great fun. 

The students in each class had their own booths that acted as individual fundraisers. Many of them prepared and sold food, some provided entertainment, while others sold trinkets, etc. I appreciated it because they did all the work themselves. Organized, prepared, cooked, etc etc. I enjoy seeing them rewarded for their hard work, and this was such a fun way to do it.

The second day was our school's 58th Anniversary Celebration. This day I skipped town and had my passport updated in BKK, but I heard the market continued, and a number of plays/concerts were performed by the students

Here are several of the other teachers' photos from the first day. My camera is officially fixed and should be back in my possession by the end of the week, so hopefully I will be able to provide some myself soon enough.

Here are some kiddies at our English booth! Yeah!!! We were given no concrete information about the day or what was expected of us, so we were really excited when our table turned out successfully. We all found it adorable that students would stop like this to do some fun English worksheets when they could have been off playing basketball with their friends. Sooo cute!!!

These students turned our school's campus into a lucrative market for 48 hours.

Some of the kids gathering in the morning.

Yes, that's Michael Jackson. They are obsessed. This poster and computer went up right by the English booth, and they played his speeches and concerts the entire day. True story.

Some of my students hanging out and playing music. They had quite a following, and they were able to sucker me into singing karaoke..

Rachel and I competed in another school's science competition. I won a sweet jersey for putting those shapes into a box the fastest. 

Oh my god. Shoes.

They work so hard and they just almost get there with the English, but not quite..

With our English Department Head after the awards ceremony.

All the Si Racha winners. Woo Hoo!

Yummmmm. Delicious pancakes on a stick.

Some girls in the traditional attire. It's so beautiful. Thailand is so rich in culture, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment