Monday, November 9, 2009

The Life of Luxury in the Most Unexpected of Places

A Thai Hospital. 

Unfortunately, Lia was very sick. Pneumonia + bacterial infection and a 3-day stint in the hospital isn't fun for anyone. And let me say before I go any further that she is doing much better and back to her normal routine. Okay, back to the goods. If you have to be sick, this is the place to be. It is the nicest, cleanest, most modern hospital I have ever been inside, and I feel like I have room to judge on this one. So much nicer than our apartments in every way, which aren't too shabby themselves. It had a full entertainment center, including internet access that popped up on the flat screen, a large refrigerator, a corner couch and love seat (more comfortable than my bed), desk and two chairs, a balcony more than twice the size of ours, and a perfect ocean-mixed-with-mountain view. Not to mention the 24 hour service for Lia in the food and health departments. The nurses even made sure I was comfortable, bringing me bedding to help me sleep.

They did all this taking care of in what most resembles a mix between a sailor's and flight attendant's uniform.  These ladies (yes, 100% of the nurses I saw were women) sported white heels and skin colored hose, a matching skirt and jacket, with a little sailor-esque cap on their heads to top-off the outfit. As far as I could tell, the get-up served no function other than appearance. I don't see how heels and hose facilitate patient wellness, but who am I to judge. 

Lia asked to be placed in a standard room, and we were both having trouble wrapping our minds around what the luxury must look like. Once she had some Thai visitors (our teachers), they informed her she was in the VIP section. Figures. Not sure why they did it, probably because she is an American.

Here are a few pics. I have to constantly remind myself it's a hospital room, not someone's plush hotel. This is not the norm for Thailand, however. We are lucky to have a private hotel run by wealthy Si Rachans at our fingertips. Their English was phenomenal, as was the quality and service.





1 comment: