Thursday, August 13, 2009

Never Thought I'd Be Considering a Non-flushing Toilet..

I would love to have a house next session, and I have recently started looking. An absolute non-negotiable for me is airconditioning, however, there are a few other things that I could potentially live without. One of the happens to be (surprisingly) a flushable toilet. Now, of course I want one and everything else in the house would have to be perfect, but if it was in fact a fantastic deal otherwise, I just might go without. And ultimately, regardless of what I want, like I said, I don't know if I can afford such luxuries..

In Thailand, it is common to have non-flushable toilets. Most everywhere in public including my school has them, and many of my friends with houses have adapted to this way of life as well. 

How it works: beside the toilet (eastern or western, doesn't seem to matter) there is a big concrete tub or bucket filled with sitting water. Inside the bucket is a scoop, which you are supposed to manually fill with water and pour into the toilet so everything just kind of trickles down into the pipes. Not so appealing, but an incredibly likely situation if I am to move into my own home.

Basically, I will be choosing between having a proper kitchen (now with none at all, aka NO COOKING) or a proper commode. It's a tough call.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled on your blog the other day after I noticed you had taken my ideal name.

    It's a good thing I did. I was driving home (to Jomtien) from Bangkok yesterday and came upon a toilet as you had described. I'm new in Thailand so I wouldn't have known what to do.

    I could have figured it out, I'm sure, but after reading this post I already knew.

    So, thanks.

    If you're at all interested in what I have to say, I have a blog over at deanlife.com

    ReplyDelete