Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vatican Schmatican

Straight from my mother's mouth, and right to your living room: I've never heard anyone say it wasn't just incredible, but it did not float my boat.

Your guestimated response: Are You Serious??????? She didn't LOVE The Vatican? What's wrong with her?

Well, iono what that's about, but I got the same problem. It just wasn't my, errrrrrr, how shall I put it politely ---- taste?? I, uhhh, maybe thought it was just a weeeeeee bit ohmygoshpleasedon'thuntmedownandshootme ----
tacky.

Okay, there. I've said it. Go ahead and hate me. I haven't much defense after a bombshell of that caliber.

But enough of Miss Negative Nancy over here. Honestly, I am so glad I had the opportunity to see La Citá Del Vaticano. And I mean, What An Opportunity. I'm a very lucky little girl who is consequently thanking my lucky little stars. It was still incredible and truly overwhelming to consider all the history within those walls. Woah. But I had to take it to that more-history-than-my-little-American-brain-could-ever-imagine level, as face value left me unimpressed.

And, I would have never survived in tourist season. It was crowded enough, I can't even imagine the height of the hype. No, I would definitely recommend a rainy, cold, March day for your Vatican Experience. Otherwise, you'll simply be overtaken by the lines and mobs. Too much. Today, however, was manageable.

The moms and I inside the Vatican Museum. 

On to greener pastures. Aka the Spanish Steps. Hype Schyme. I was all over those steps. Soooo amazing. The view of the city streets was pretty much to die for. And then to the top, and inside The Trinitá dei Monti. Very nice. 



Getting warmer, The Fountain of Trevi. I really just hadn't thought about it beforehand, but man, was I impressed. My photos stop here, everything else you see is stolen. Hopefully I'll be able to replace them with my own when we return. I couldn't feel my feet due to the wet and cold, so I threw the picture thing out the window. Forgive me.

We inadvertently set ourselves up for schedule perfecto, every stop increasingly more breathtaking and awe inspiring than the last. To best explain this, at the fountain, while completely captivated, I was still capable of participating in what I would consider to be intelligent conversation. Our last sight of the day, comparatively, delivered more of a sucker punch to the gut, can't get anything coherent out of my silly little lips because what I'm looking at is simply too amazing to think straight, kind of feeling. Yes; it was like that. All I could manage was Wow, and I couldn't even muster that until almost a full minute of gawking. How lame, and what incredibly unworthy vocabulary. I'm talking about none other than the Colosseum. WOW. Put this one down in the books, kids. Quite the jaw-dropper. We didn't even get inside, it was after 5 and closed, but maaaa-an. I'll be going back. Bright and early, 9 am, so I can spend hour upon hour of gaping, wide-eyed and full of amazement, at everything it has to offer. 

And that was Full Day 2. Heaps more exciting than Full Day 1, let me tell you. Tomorrow, off to Firenze. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment