
View from the Piazza Michelangelo, just outside the wall of Florence.
Me and The Duomo. We were able to attend a church service there on Sunday, and even though we couldn't understand a word, it was very beautiful. And cold! Well worth our time and a definite recommendation if you are interested. 
These photos were taken looking down on the city wall and up at the steps from the same location. I loved glancing back at the wall and still life surrounding us. Looking out at what I had always envisioned an Italian street to be was a peaceful moment. Nothing like we see back home. At the top they had several little cafes, and some nice hillside steps for people to relax, have a beer (lots of Coronas- HA) and enjoy the sun soaked view of Firenze. We could have stayed there for hours, but it was a pretty romantic spot, and as the only mother-daughter pair for miles, we moved it on along after about 20 minutes. Sorry for the delay, times have been busy. We ended up staying in Florence five days/six nights. It was a great way to spend such a big chunk of our time. What with the daytrips, museums, history, architecture, churches, shopping, sights, views, food, and --I'm guessing you get the idea-- culture, we enjoyed ourselves from beginning to end. I will say walking on those treacherously paved roads with suitcases presented a challenge, but that's my only complaint. The Uffizi. The Accademia. The Duomo. Holy Jesus, Mary and Joseph did we get such a unique opportunity to see one-of-a-kinds first hand. Like Michelangelo's Statue of David. My mother just finished a novel where it was discussed that art is supposed to invoke awe in the viewer. None of this Jackson Pollock BS (if you love him, deal. My comment/opinion certainly isn't going to hurt his reputation. And admit it, you can't compare him to Michelangelo). I have to confess before this trip I didn't have a huge appreciation for art. Beautiful things, yes. I like pretty things. Sculptures, paintings, I could enjoy them, but very rarely was I moved. I spent most of the time not getting what all the fuss is about. Well, the Statue of David could move mountains. I was completely in awe. That thing moved me so much, I was almost back in America by the time I walked out. A whole different kind of impressive. A photograph could never do it justice.
And some of the paintings at the Uffizi blew me right out of the water. I never thought it possible that I could be an art snob, but I certainly know the difference in quality after seeing such masterpieces. Now when I look at the reproductions around town all I can think is how they pale in comparison. Not even in the same league. Weak. The originals were otherworldly.
Apart from the museums, I particularly enjoyed our time in the streets. Florence is a small city, petite even. She's dainty. We could walk from one side to the other with no trouble. Taking in the hustle and bustle of daily life, mixing the local with tourist was lots of fun. They have all kinds of silly things for outsiders to do that bring in revenue to the city. Like ride in a horse drawn carriage through the center of town. Florence is at the top of the list for cities dependable on tourism, they simply wouldn't survive without it. But they are gracious. I was surprised to see just how many people were living there. Lots of families, baby strollers, and little doggies that nobody picked up after-------- SAY WHAT? That mess is crazy. How could Florentines, of all people, walk around a city full of doggie doo? Not sure I'll ever understand. Pick it up! THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT.
They would transport their chitlins around on the front and sides of bikes. Yesh, too scary for me. But there was a definite sense of looking out for one another, and they make it work. I, however, kept envisioning all these terrible scenarios of mother and baby getting rammed by an SUV driving soccer mom sipping on her grande frappuchino, turning around and releasing the wheel to smack her son in a seat-belt wearing fight. Meanwhile bicycle peddling mother tragically lands on top of baby in the street. Not a nice image. I'd have to remind myself I'm not in America, where a bitch will run ya over for glancing at her funny. From what we saw, these are a happy people.
The church service and opera were perfect bite-sized Florence treats. Not something I would normally consider doing at home, but I was eager for the opportunity to attend an opera in Italy. We went to one in a small church, and watching from such close proximity proved a more intimate and enjoyable experience. What we saw was set-up for the tourists, and there was an English explanation before each act. But no complaints! We wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. It was nice. All and all, a worthwhile experience if you have the time. A definite recommendation. If I were to see another though, I want something more authentic. I'm glad we went, but like the art, the second-hand quality just isn't sufficient. I want the full experience.
[[[***I originally said I would return to see this particular performance again, but after touring the Venice Opera House and hearing them practice, I immediately changed my mind. The level of excellence was unmatched. Now I would only pay to see the best of the best. Don't think we'll get a chance this time around, but hopefully one day***]]]
Surprisingly, I was ready to say goodbye to Florence. After 5 days of amazing sights, activities, food, views and culture, it was time to move on. Italy just has so much to offer. And such diversity. Now's not the time to be missing out on the goods. Off to Venezia. Ciao!


No comments:
Post a Comment